What is a good age to start lessons?
- You can start lessons at any age after 3, and our teachers are experienced in working with students of all ages. Students who want to start before they are 5 should use the Suzuki method.
Can adults take lessons?
- Absolutely! Our teachers are experienced with students of all ages. We have lots of adult students who take lessons for a variety of reasons. Some parents choose to take lessons alongside their children. Some of our adult students took lessons as kids or played in their middle school orchestra, but many have never played an instrument before. It's never too late to start!
How much do lessons cost?
- Please check your local studio page for tuition information. Rates are listed in the dropdown menu under Sign Up on each page: Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dallas-Fort Worth, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York City
What are your studio policies?
- You can find our complete studio policies here: www.citystrings.com/studiopolicies
How do I choose the teaching method that is best for my child?
- Don't worry, you don't need to be an expert in music education to get the most out of your lessons! In your initial consultation with us, we will discuss the benefits of each available method and decide what will work best for your family.
What is Suzuki and how is it different from other methods?
- The Suzuki method is unique in that the students learn their instruments in the same way that they learned their native language. The students can start as young as 3 years old and learn mostly by ear, developing music reading skills once they learn to read words. A core belief of the method is that every child can learn the violin given good teachers, parental involvement, and a willingness to learn. There's a great intro to the Suzuki method here: https://suzukiassociation.org/about/suzuki-method/
Should I plan on participating in the lessons?
- In our experience, we have found that parental involvement is key to student success regardless of the teaching method. We suggest that parents participate in the lessons of students 10 and younger and encourage involvement in the following years.
How long should my lessons be?
- Beginning students of all ages can enroll in 30 or 45 minute lessons. As students progress, their lessons length may need to be increased in consultation with their teacher. Generally, more advanced students take 60 minute lessons.
Why rent from us?
- Knowing what instrument to get can be tricky, so you should always consult your teacher before renting or purchasing. If you rent from us, we take care of the whole process from instrument sizing to maintenance in your home. A proper size and well maintained instrument is key to your child's success. We have hand selected all of our instruments for quality in order to take the guess work out of instrument selection.
What if I already have an instrument?
- That's great! Your teacher will make sure that the instrument is the right size and quality. Violins range in size from 1/32 to full size and we strongly believe a quality instrument is essential to student success.
Do I have to have my own piano?
- For piano lessons in your home, you will need to have a tuned piano or a full sized keyboard with weighted keys. We are happy to help you find an appropriate instrument.